A Northern Lights New Year
Although the sun disappears in November, and doesn’t rise again for three months, it is never completely dark here and the Northern Lights are always a sight to behold. In the three weeks around the Winter Solstice there is very little light and in the high Arctic this is a traditional time for people to come together, play games, sing, dance, and celebrate life. Join the Inuit community of Arctic Bay as they bring in the New Year. Visit a destination that few people get to explore, the North Baffin, 700 kms. north of the Arctic Circle. The North Baffin is a wonderful, and wonder filled land, of mountains and fiords, populated by friendly people. We’ll see it at a time that few people get to see it.
Location: Arctic Bay
Length: 6 Days
Available Dates & Costs:
- December 1, 2018 - January 6, 2019
Package cost does not include flights to and from Arctic Bay.
- Skidoo parade, trucks and four wheelers at the sea ice and in the community
- Games at the community hall every evening starting middle of December till beginning of January
- Square dance after the games every night till 2:00 AM
- Community feast with traditional food hosted by local HTO
- Community feast with traditional food hosted by Inummariit Elders committee on New Year’s Day
- Traditional fashion show during the games hosted by Inummariit Elders committee and some traditional games
- 24 hour darkness with little bit of daylight for 2-3 hours
- Northern lights
Guests will be picked up by taxi or shuttle at the airport in Arctic Bay. On arrival, guests will be met and transferred to the ‘Tangmaaqvik Hotel’ or home stay for our overnight accommodation.
Experience life with the people of Arctic Bay, as we tour the community and culture centre, and experience a traditional meal with Elders.
We’ll head out by dog sleds or skidoos, and take in the geography. Watch for polar bears, birds, whales and other spectacular sights as we interact with our local Inuit guides who will share their stories of the land.
Enjoy games, dancing and maybe even take in a hockey game! Hear stories from our people and spend the day getting to know our Inuit community as you and your group are welcomed into the fold. Together we’ll celebrate and welcome in the new year, with the spectacular Northern Lights!
This is a day entirely up to you! Choose your own adventure for your last day with us. Whether it’s ice fishing, hiking, birdwatching or other activities you’d like to take in before you leave we’ll do our best to accommodate.
Guests will be shuttled back to the airport to connect with their outbound international flights.
- Arctic Bay Adventure’s guides at 3:1 ratio, the guides are Inuit
- Camping + 2 nights in Arctic Bay
- Breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner.
- Base camp: generators, bathroom for male and female, kitchen/group tents, cooking stoves, dishes, utensils.
- Sleeping tents, sleeping bags, cots
- First aid, repair kits, satellite phones, inReach devices.
- Snow machines from base camp
- Airport transfers in Arctic Bay